Monday, June 15, 2009

Perils of Hiking



No, I'm not trying to imitate the Wyeth painting of "Christina's World". Hiking around here requires a lot of wiggling under barbed wire.

We set out on an adventure hike today deep into a canyon via bear and elk trails, down to a stream which seems very remote. But somehow we took a wrong turn and ended about 1000 feet above the stream where we thought we'd have lunch.

We discovered this as we were crossing a narrow rocky trail ledge. Looking far down below I saw a person walking in circles in a meadow, right by the stream. It was crazy. A place where you'd never think you'd see anyone else. I sat down to look at him thru binoculars because I was getting a bad case of vertigo and couldn't stand and hold binoculars too. My palms were sweating. To sit down there you had to just lean back, it was that steep.

Such a remote area, and it was obvious he was talking on a cel phone, making hand gestures as he kept circling. What could he be talking about? I said to Jon, "Either he's the manager of a small store and all the wrong orders came in, or the stock market has just tanked." woah, psychic sal on the trail. (maket did tank in case you didn't know)

Then Molly saw him and she got that "Rin Tin Tin must rescue" look that German Shepherds can get so I had to grab her by the collar and we quickly turned back and chose a different route home. 3 1/2 hours later I am mighty weary.

8 comments:

Mean Jean said...

Argh. What's the point of being out in the middle of nowhere if you drag civilization with you and refuse to let go?

Sally said...

Haha, Mean Jean, at first I thought you were talking about my backpack!

Namowal (Jennifer Bourne) said...

I like that photo. It's a bit whimsical, like your cartoons.

"But somehow we took a wrong turn and ended about 1000 feet above the stream where we thought we'd have lunch."
Ever read the book Deep Survival? It has interesting insights on how we manage to take wrong turns and get lost.

"We discovered this as we were crossing a narrow rocky trail ledge. Looking far down below I saw a person ... ... I sat down to look at him thru binoculars because I was getting a bad case of vertigo and couldn't stand and hold binoculars too. My palms were sweating."
Yeesh! Now my palms are sweating.

Sally said...

Namowal, haven't read "Deep Survival."

Linda Davick said...

Laughing about Mean Jean & Sally & backpack.
What was in that backpack for lunch by the way? I'm curious.

Mean Jean said...

Okay, now I'm pondering on Henry D. Thoreau living today and owning a Blackberry and writing Walden Pond while pacing and tweeting and taking pictures of his feet in the water and various bugs and...call coming in gotta go...

Mean Jean said...

After looking at your picture again it looks as if you and Molly were just taking a little rest. BTW I love your hat.

Sally said...

I know the pic looks fake but it actually was caught mid way under the fence. Molly always goes first, and has the easiest time of it.

The backpack had a meager lunch. A peanut butter and jelly sandwich to split! and a sliced orange that was a little old. But the pack weighs a lot with binoculars, waters, camera, leash, ace bandage, tennis ball etc. I'm the sherpa.