Sunday, May 24, 2009

Big River Man


Don't click on it, it's just a feeble screen shot. I have a hard time with screen shots on this laptop.

Yesterday at the Mountain Film Festival we saw an extraordinary film, Big River Man, about an obsessive Slovokian guy who swam the Amazon River from one side of the continent to the other. A strange character to say the least, but very appealing and very overweight, he drank two bottles of wine a day sometimes while swimming. Near the end of his journey he became totally delusional, but he's back in shape again and contemplating a new project. He was on stage with his son after the screening. If you ever have a chance to see this film, I highly recommend it.
The trailer for the film is embedded in Flash so I can't post it here, but you may enjoy poking around the site. I couldn't stop thinking about it last night and today.

On the way down our road into town to see a Ken Burns documentary on the National parks, Part 4, a bobcat strolled in front of the car. Highlight of the day. I reached for the camera but by that time Molly had started her barking and the bobcat took off.

I get pretty restless with Ken Burns, in fact wondered afterwards why I said I'd go see that one. The slow zooms in and out on still photos, the ponderous voice of Peter Coyote, the period appropriate but spiritless music. whew I was glad when that ended.

3 comments:

Namowal (Jennifer Bourne) said...

Wow, he sounds like a character. Maybe he should have his own reality show. It would probably be more fun than Man Against Wild or Survivorman.

stray said...

he drank wine while swimming?

Sally said...

yes, while swimming. the web site doesn't convey the originality of the film.