Sunday, February 08, 2009

Walker Evans' postcard collection


Ann told me about this, that there's a show of Walker Evans' postcard collection now running at the Met in NYC. This card is a postcard Evans made of one of his photographs.

It cheers me to read postcards are getting their due. I only have around 2000 of them! (give or take a few hundred.) The cards the Met chose to include on their website were a bit dull I thought, other than this one. You could sense from the write up that the curators weren't entirely comfortable discussing a postcard collection.

This image couldn't suit me better- spent all day yesterday at Santa Anita and am watching today's races live on my computer thanks to calracing.com

6 comments:

Namowal (Jennifer Bourne) said...

How and why did you start collecting postcards? Any favorite genre? Do you want more?
p.s How'd you do at the races?

Anonymous said...

I used to mail postcards to people all the time -- before email.

Sally said...

I did pretty well at the races. My mother used to run estate sales after my father died, and I think that's how I started collecting them. I'll dig up some favorites and write more about it.

Linda Davick said...

It sounds like you're as crazy about postcards as I used to be about baseball cards. But postcards don't smell as good as baseball cards--that pink bubblegum smell.

Sally said...

I'm not crazy about postcards anymore. And when I read about that bubble gum card smell, I was there!

Anonymous said...

I want that really flat bubble gum now! My older brothers collected baseball cards, and everything they did was cool.