Monday, October 15, 2007

Colorado Cassoulet



And now we move on to the main course. I'm not that good a cook, in fact Jon usually does the cooking, but this dish was unexpectedly: PERFECTION!

We cook duck once or twice a month, then have half a duck left over the next day. Sometimes we maked duck salad, or put it in pasta, or just eat it standing up, quack, but then sometimes I make an improvised cassoulet and it's alright but only just. (Has nothing to do with Julia Child style recipes for cassoulet.)

At City Market Jon said why not make it with dried black eyed peas instead of the canned beans I usually use. In L.A. black eyed peas cook in a couple of hours, so I thought, why not?

It took a day and a half for those rock hard rockin' black-eye peas to soften up in simmering water. (Turned them off over night.) By morning I'd added to the large sauce pot:
  • A chopped onion
  • A chopped red pepper
  • chopped carrot
  • chopped celery
  • half a can of chopped green chilis
  • chopped parsley
  • two bay leaves
  • splash of worcestershire sauce
  • can of chopped tomatoes
  • half a duck
  • weird stuff at hand like dabs of old spaghetti sauce, vermouth, and a glob of last week's turkey consomme.
By dinner time the duck had fallen off the bone, the beans were soft, and the flavor was exquisite. I didn't bother putting a buttery bread crust on it. What the flavor most resembled was chili verde, which is made with pork. It was very satisfying. Maybe this is why people buy crock pots, but I don't have one.

5 comments:

Linda Davick said...

WOW!!!!
I'm drooling on my wacom tablet.

Those boppin beans are crazy, man--and the trees are spectacular.

p.s. Go buy a crock pot immediately!

There's a book out called "No One Cares What You Had for Lunch: 100 Ideas for Your Blog"
http://www.amazon.com/One-Cares-What-You-Lunch/dp/032144972X
BUT I BEG TO DIFFER. I love knowing what everybody has for lunch. And dinner. And breakfast. And snacks.

Namowal (Jennifer Bourne) said...

I hope the duck wasn't any of my relatives ;)

I second the nomination for a crock pot. Just be sure to find one the right size (depending on how many people you usually cook for) and look for one where the pot part can be removed from the heating element so it's easy to clean.

Sally said...

Thanks for the crock advice. May look them over tomorrow on our big trip to town. Linda, what's breakfast at your house? Namowal, even worse than eating duck is eating chicken for me, yet the thing I cook best is friiiiied chicken.

No word on Elle, but no news is good news.

Anonymous said...

Another great recipe to try! Thanks. You're an inspiration.

Namowal (Jennifer Bourne) said...

I hear ya. I like birds, but I like to eat them too.