Monday, February 06, 2006

ebay makes me SO MAD!

I've been selling on ebay for years-- postcards, horse stuff, movie memorabilia. The last year I've been selling copies of my own cartoons on dvd-rs. Since I am the copyright owner, this is legal on ebay. However, dvd-r is also a frequent format for bootlegs. Something in the ebay system punches reject and they pull my listings, considering them taboo.

I protest, they check the listing, they concede, I relist.The people who want these dvds really want them, remembering something from their crazy youth, etc. All the feedback on the dvds positive. (More than 1200 feedbacks and only one negative all that time.) Each time ebay concedes they apologize and say they've added a note to my account so the same mistake won't be made again.

Tonight I listed the dvd again and they have suspended my account. Means I cease to exist on ebay. Meanwhile I had about twenty five other auctions on-going, with bids, and they get suspended too. I know ebay will re-instate me, but meanwhile all these auctions are screwed. And ebay has no support phone number, you are totally at the mercy of their support email. In the last two months I sold more than $6000 in one thing or the other-- means nothing in the mega giant corporate world of ebay.Worst part is I really want to get re-instated. grovel grovel. groan. groan.

5 comments:

Robert said...

Ah, eBay...
I see that you've discovered their evil little secret. You can sell, you can buy, but you can't communicate. Hmmm. The online help system, the one where someone "responds" to you, looks and reads suspiciously like a really well programmed AI application. This makes me wonder... are there any humans at all at eBay?
Personally, I think that their corporate headquarters is actually a humongous facade, covering a small cinder block building measuring 300 square feet and loaded to the gills with computers and servers. The owner/operators are on the beach in Brazil, sipping who-knows-what.
Just a theory...

Rob

Sally said...

They have since reinstated me and even called me to apologize. But I like your image, Rob, of the small cinderblock.

MBA Product Manager said...

Ran across your blog. Had a similar problem as a buyer on ebay as someone stole my account, purchased a bunch of stuff, and then was not able to pay. They suspended my account - now I am no longer able to sell or buy, despite protests. Best of luck. I'm done with them.

Emmie

Anonymous said...

Hi Sally, Why dont you sell them on your web site ? Im sure there is someone near by who could help. If you cant find anyone, just contact me on my site and I'll help as best as I can.

Anonymous said...

You posted this in February and here it is July. I hope you read it. You don't strike me as a Groklaw reader (and that is mainly about open source issues, especially the suit which claims that Linux and Unix are owned by a small company in Utah). Nevertheless when I found this story I posted a link to it: Sally Cruikshank . There are some good comments. If you take a look at the second one (by Boundless) it might prove useful in the future. Or might not. I don't see your discs listed yet (and frankly don't own a DVD player. My computer with a DVD drive is waiting to have an ethernet controller installed).